Monday, July 28, 2008

Great Summer Wines under $10

Let's face it: I'm married to a Frenchman. Wine is a part of our everyday life. I'd say six out of seven nights, we serve wine with dinner. It's basically an added course to our menu that we choose to not forego. So, the challenge for us has been finding wines we can really enjoy, yet they won't break the bank.

Now, in the cooler weather, I'd say 4 out of every 5 bottles we open are reds. It's just a personal preference, plus reds often go with the heartier fare I tend to cook when the seasons turn. However, a nice kick-you-in-the-ass cabernet sauvignon is NOT what I want as I sit on the porch under a fan, eating a burger. So, I have some wines that I drink during the summer but forego most of the rest of the year. I want something refreshing when it's hot--not complex and heavy. Seasonal eating? Hell, folks should be seasonal drinking, too!

Now that I'm working in a wine store and get to sample so very many wines, I've come up with a list of favorites that do the job without breaking the bank. All of these wines are under $10, but that's based on Total Wine prices (and really, their prices are pretty darn good--they might be wines that cost more elsewhere). And all of these don't really need to be vintage specific, so I won't bother.

1) Domaine St Antoine, dry rose, from the Languedoc-Rousillon, at $9.99. Your better French bargains come out of the Languedoc-Rousillon these days. Their quality is improving, but their prices remain low, even with the Euro-dollar fiasco. This particular bottle is great with grilled foods, and it's great just to sip. Made from Syrah and Grenache, it has that lovely fruity strawberry I love, plus a dash of blackberry.

2) Domaine Guy Mousset, dry rose, Cotes du Rhone, at $9.99. This particular bottle appeals to me because it's basically a Tavel at a reasonable price. I love Tavels, but the ones I can find are at LEAST $15 or more. And my husband insists: no rose should cost more than $10. So, if I can't get a specific appellation of the Rhone I want, why not go for the whole shebang? It's got a lot of strawberry with a touch of cherry, too.

3) Gazela Vinho Verde, Portugal, $5.99. I never take vinho verde seriously because...they aren't meant to be some amazing, complex thing that sends wine snobs into orgasmic fits. They're often like a wine spritzer to me because of the fizz and the low alcohol. But boy, is this sucker nice to have in hand while you lounge on the beach.

4) Domaine Pignard, Beaujolais, $9.99. I honestly prefer the Beaujolais Cru (Moulin-a-Vent, Brouilly, Morgon, Fleurie, etc) if I have the choice, but those usually fall in the $14 to $18 range. So, what if I want a red wine that's light, under $10, and should ALWAYS be served chilled? Well, I'd go for this bottle. IT IS DISGUSTING WARM because it's not meant to be drank that way. Please discard some archaic notion that reds should always be warm. No red should be warm. Even Cabs at room temp mean room temp in a castle or dungeon from eons ago, IE, about 65 degrees F. But beaujolais should be almost as cold as a white, and that makes it very refreshing in hot weather.

5) Hugues Beauvignac Picpoul de Pinet, $9.99. Also from the Languedoc, it's crisp and clean with a bit o' apple and citrus. I liked it even better when it cost $7.99, but lo, with gas prices and the euro being so strong, it's gone up $2 in the last year or so.

6) Rondel Rura Raza Brut, Cava, Spain, $7.99. I prefer champagne, the real stuff. Next in line? Cremant de Bourgogne (same grapes as Champagne, same method, half the price). After that? A good Cava hits the spot. This one is the least expensive, good Cava I've ever had. They also make two semi secos if you prefer some sweetness.

7) Sant Orsola Asti, $8.99. Speaking of some sweetness, this bubbly is sweet without being cloying. It's great with fruit or fruit desserts.

8) Bougrier "V" Vouvray, Loire, $9.99. I thought hey, since I already mentioned ONE sweet wine, why not make it two? This Vouvray definitely is the traditional slightly sweet Chenin Blanc that many love, yet at a reasonable price.

9) D’Autrefois Pinot Noir, vin de pays d'oc, $9.99. You know, Pinot Noir done cheap is something that usually gives me hives. The damn grape is frustrating to do right. Thin skin, climate sensitive, hard to get to ferment right--you name it. So a cheap Pinot Noir usually tastes like a cheap Pinot Noir. However, this one is surprisingly full of cherry and vanilla for something so inexpensive. They also make a reserve for $3 more that's worth the extra bucks. Pinot Noir is definitely a red light enough to enjoy during the summer, but this is about the only one I can recommend under $10!

10) Armani Pinot Grigio Venezie, Italy, $8.99. A bit o' mineral, a bit o' apple, and quite crisp and refreshing. I prefer my Pinot Grigio as Pinot Gris, but then it costs well over $10. I like this one because it stands up to food and holds its own. The light-bodied Pinot Grigios just can't do that, which is why I hunt up good tasting medium-bodied ones.

I could go on. I have at least ten more I could list here, but this'll do for now. Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

Laurita said...

I need to plan another "day off" from the diet so I can hang back with the bottle or rose I bought about a month ago...still sitting there neglected.

Good suggestions. I need to hit our big wine store (don't know the name of it, just know where it is) so I can browse.

Foilwoman said...

Nice list. I'll watch for those on sale at Calvert Woodley or Rodmans. Right now, the wine I've got (this is embarrassing) is Beringer Chenin Blanc: it was 2 bottles for $9 special at Giant, and hey, if it's cold enough, it doesn't taste that overly sweet. Right now, I'm all Chenin Blanc all the time: last week Sutter Home's was on sale for $3.99 (the Beringer is better). Maybe if I drank less, I'd be able to spring for the $10 bottle, but right now, two under $5 bottles are my weekly wine budget . . . Sigh.

But Calvert Woodley has great sales, so the minute one on your list goes on theirs, I'm buying it.

Roland Hulme said...

Oh, what wonderful recommendations (and you can definitely tell you're married to a Frenchman by the bias i your selections!)