Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Restaurants?

Joe's post on restaurants reminded me of something I do occasionally that I hate in regard to restaurants...

...I get stuck on one meal.

What I mean is, I will go to a restaurant, and I will try all sorts of interesting meals. But then, for some restaurants (fortunately not all), I will end up with a meal so great I have to have it every single time I go. I'm stuck. I can't get past one certain item on the menu. I'll swear up and down--next time, NEXT TIME, when I go there I will get something new! And then next time comes, and what I do is read the entire menu...and order the very item I had the last five times. It's like my stomach has begun to associate that particular place with this one meal, and it's not food unless I get it. Can you imagine the total amount of other amazing food I'm missing out on just because I can't get past ordering only this one dish?

I find that the easiest places to not get fixated on one food are all tapas restaurants. Since I'm trying several little dishes each time, I can always comfort myself with ordering one of the previous items I adored while trying several other new ones. I'm also easier with ordering something new if I can afford to go there repeatedly instead of just on special occasions.

I can't be the only person who foolishly gets stuck on one meal for one restaurant, right?

5 comments:

Joe said...

Oh hell no -- plenty of people do that. Or at least I do, and I'm the guy who gets bored easily. I think 90% of the time I go to Satisfaction in Durham I get the same exact sandwich. It's a really good one, but I. Get. The. Same. One. Every. Time.

Seriously, there are worse things to worry about. It's like worrying about reading the same book again. Fuck it. If you want to re-read the same book or re-eat the same thing, just fucking do it.

Now if you're stuck to the point where the only thing you can eat is bologna sandwiches, no matter where you go, then seek professional help. ;)

Why didn't you link to my post? :-P

Grant said...

No, you are the only one. :p Fortunately you go with people who try different things and then let you sample off our plates.

I tried a new Thai place last night called the Red Elephant. Pattaya has more and better stuff, but RE had a few things P didn't and they were awesome! One was marinated chicken with pineapple and soy, plus they had a duck breast special. You need to visit here and stay longer, or learn to eat more than two meals a day.

Kira said...

Joe--because it's been so long since I messed with links, I forgot how to do it :P And yeah, I just go ahead and eat the same thing over and over again when I get hooked because I just don't want to let it go. I guess I feel vaguely bad, though, that I'm missing out on more food. Except when I eat with Grant. Then Grant asks me what else I want to eat, and then he orders it, and then I eat half his plate :)

Grant--do you even get enough vacation for me to stay longer? ;) I love duck, as you know, so I'm game for the new Thai place.

Joe said...

Well then: The Local "Mid-list" Restaurant. :-P

X. Dell said...

I have a bunch of restaurants where one thing is my favorite. So, if I just keep going to different places, then I'll get at least some variety.